Here are some images I have created to satisfy my interest in urban mythical creatures. There are some others I would like to do. Each of these drawings are visualisations based on the various verbal descriptions people have recorded of them.
The Chupacabra image was actually used for a TV show in USA, I had a producer contact me for permission, though sadly, I was never able to see the show.
Spring Heeled Jack
Oil in Canvas… Work is still in progress.
The space suit is a fascinating creation to me. If Form = Function then a suit is strange indeed. Its function: to allow a human being to depart from his/her own planet. In order to achieve this objective, a suit must perfectly emulate Mother Earth’s atmosphere. To fool the body into believing it’s still safely within the confines of our stratosphere. Yet it is not.
It is actually a long way from the safety of home.
Additionally, the planets and open spaces the suit will allow its occupant/user to venture among will be completely inhospitable to the point where the occupant will perhaps never be able to leave it.
So the space suit is both a liberation, and a confinement…
I have decided to publish the occasional descriptive analysis of some stop motion animation projects I have worked on over the years. The type of work I do is not traditional in it’s approach but more in line with William Kentridge, being charcoal on paper. In more recent years I have become interested in creating figures and cutting them out to create a stronger sense of dynamic movement.
By using this rig I created below to have a moving background.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
It’s not pretty! But it is made completely of recycled material (junk) and (lots of tape!). This rig has helped me create several scenes which would have been impossible to create without resorting to digital means, which was the challenge I had set myself. I wanted to use an absolute minimum of special effects for this project.
The figures were drawn from reference photos I took. They were drawn separately within equal sized parameters, cut out and replaced for each frame. I used a piece of foam core as a backing with a thumbtack to hold each separate frame in place. The whole thing was suspended in place using some fine fishing line which was attached to the wires at each end of the rig.
Here are the drawings before they were cut out.
Here is the sequence which combined the moving rig with the animated figures.
Next time I will explain the process I went through to create the colour in this project.
I will be happy to answer any questions about the process.